Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Pretty Peonies...

I absolutely LOVE peonies!
They are without a doubt, my MOST favorite flowers!
They bloom in several different colors...I love them all!



The blooms are so full & fluffy, the colors are always beautiful & their fragrance makes them almost irresistible!



Here in the south they are known as the "Mother's Day Flower" because they bloom ONLY in the month of May, usually around Mother's Day.



These beautiful flowers take me back, every spring!
Ahhhhhhhh......
Just one sniff of their enchanting aroma and suddenly I'm eight years old again, playing in the yard in between my grandmother & great grandmother's houses (getting into trouble, no doubt).



Both avid gardeners, these gals had white and baby pink bushes in several different spots. On a hot spring day, their sweet smell would fill the air...it was WONDERFUL!



These flowers are even more special to me now that those two amazing ladies are gone. When they begin to bloom every May...I can close my eyes & see Grandma & Granny both out digging in the yard, pulling weeds and keeping everything watered...



When we first moved in to this house two years ago, I went to the grocery store one day & they had these AMAZING magenta peonies out front! These flowers are REALLY hard to find, sometimes you will see them at expensive nurseries...SOMETIMES...so, naturally I snatched them RIGHT UP!



Well, at the time, our yard was a huge pile of DUST...we were not doing our landscaping until the fall & I knew they would get destroyed & run over by bobcats if I put them into the ground...



SO, they did their amazing blooming & died down...and that summer (in the mist of one CRAZY summer unpacking with three kids underfoot), they DRIED out in those little bitty pots they came in. I was so mad at myself for letting them perish!! Even our landscape guy said I should probably just toss them in the garbage, that they wouldn't come back...



but, I just couldn't do it...I could just HEAR my granny chewing me OUT...
Oh, my gosh....

First, for KILLING them & the second, for even considering putting beloved peonies in the GARBAGE can!

So, I did what I thought was right...I gave them a proper burial way out back by the fence.



AMAZINGLY...for the past two years in a row they have bloomed where they were planted....

And, this silly part of me feels like that's my granny looking down on me from heaven and saying "good girl".

Happy Tuesday!

~ mandy


1 comment:

motherof3fellows said...

Peonies are one of my favorites too. Your pictures of them are amazing! I hope you had a wonderful Mother's day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...