Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Sibling Rivalry...

Blogging about Donald Davis' wonderful books yesterday got me to thinking about this little rivalry that my mother & my aunt had over him a few years ago. ((and how could you not be fighting over him, he's adorable!!))



Remember, I told you how he comes to my mother's school here in middle TN every year to tell his stories and do a workshop with the students...well, my AUNT lives in Jonesborough ...TN's oldest town AND the home of the National Storytelling Festival (an event that Donald Davis participates in EVERY year)...((and just look at who is on their front page, btw)).

On a side note...if you ever get a chance to attend this fabulous festival, I highly recommend it! My aunt took us to the GHOST STORIES event one year...MERCY it was AWESOME!! I'm planning to take the kids one day, I know they would LOVE this!

ANYway...my aunt lives in the heart of Jonesborough, but had NEVER met Donald Davis. Now, of course...my mother enjoyed this fact & was always bragging about her visits with The Donald to her little sister...



Every year mama would enjoy a visit, have her picture made with Donald & then make a point to MAIL my aunt a photograph of HER and Donald Davis just to rub it in...this went on a few years...

until one year...
when Donald Davis paid a visit to my aunt's school (she's a teacher too).

Ah, yes...Sis plotted her visit well...when it was her turn to have a photo opt with The Donald, she whipped out a photo of him & my mother from a previous visit & TOLD him about how mama had rubbed this in her face repeatedly...year after year!!!

I'm sure he was delighted & laughing over it...because they had their picture made WITH Sis holding up the the most recent photo that mama had sent her!! (thus sparking a duel much like the legendary "battle of the lamp" from the Christmas Story movie)...naturally, a copy of the photo was made & MAILED appropriately for my mother to enjoy on her walk back from the mailbox (just as my aunt had done many times before)



& of course, it didn't stop there!!
The very next year, without missing a beat...mama gets her school visit with Donald Davis, just like she does every year...and at photo time, out she whips that photograph of Sis & Donald Davis! ((I'm sure if he didn't already know my mother pretty well, he would probably think we were a bunch of lunatics...))

but, alas...a new photo was taken...this time, of Mama & Donald Davis...HOLDING a picture of Sis & Donald Davis...who, IN THE PHOTO are HOLDING an older photo of Mama & Donald Davis...



tisk...
those two...
never a dull moment, that's for sure!
I'm anxious to see what will happen the next time my aunt gets to visit with Donald...you can always count on her to keep it fun! ;)

Well, I've got to go check on my sick lil lady...perfect attendance tarnished...*sigh*...

Don't forget about the FREE Camera Strap Cover from yesterday...leave me a book suggestion in the comment box. I will draw a winner on Friday morning.

Happy Wednesday! :)

~ mandy







No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...